2019 Education Loan Debt Statistics
U.S. Education loan borrowers owed a collective $1.6 trillion in federal and personal education loan financial obligation at the time of March 2019, based on the Board of Governors associated with the Federal Reserve System.
Listed here are key education loan financial obligation data to learn: simply how much borrowers owe, the sorts of loans they will have and just how they’re repaying them.
Typical education loan debt
Sixty-five per cent associated with the course of 2018 graduated with pupil financial obligation, based on the latest information available from The Institute for university Access & triumph, an organization that is nonprofit works to enhance advanced schooling access and affordability. Among these graduates, the typical education loan financial obligation had been $29,200.
The normal U.S. Home with pupil financial obligation owes $47,671, relating to NerdWallet’s 2018 household debt research.
Pupils whom pursue expert degree programs can get to battle a whole lot more. Here’s exactly how the student that is average financial obligation compares for the course of 2018.
Sources: The Institute for university Access and triumph, Association of United states health Colleges, American Dental Education Association, United states Association of Colleges of Pharmacy.
Total federal education loan financial obligation
Many student loans — about 92%, relating to a December 2018 report by MeasureOne, a data that is academic — are owned because of the U.S. Department of Education.
online payday loans Kentucky
- Total student that is federal borrowers: 43 million. </li>
- Total outstanding federal education loan financial obligation: $1.4 trillion.
Total student loan debt that is private
Private student education loans constitute 7.76% of this total outstanding U.S. Student education loans, in accordance with MeasureOne.
- Total outstanding student that is private financial obligation: $124.65 billion.
Education loan payment status
Federal student education loans
If borrowers can’t make re payments, they could postpone them through deferment or forbearance. Interest typically accrues of these durations, but borrowers with subsidized loans don’t owe the attention that accrues during deferment.
- Federal loan borrowers in payment: 18.6 million.
- Federal loan borrowers with loans in deferment: 3.4 million.
- Federal loan borrowers with loans in forbearance: 2.7 million.
- Federal loan borrowers with loans in standard: 5.2 million.
Personal student education loans
Borrowers also can postpone personal education loan re payments via deferment or forbearance, but interest constantly accrues no matter whether the debtor is making re re payments.
- Portion of outstanding loan that is private in deferment: 18.34%.
- Percentage of outstanding loan that is private in forbearance: 2.22%.
- Portion of private loans in repayment being 90+ times past due: 1.46per cent.
Income-driven payment usage
Federal income-driven repayment plans cap monthly obligations at 10% to 20per cent of discretionary income and forgive the total amount staying after 20 or 25 years, depending on the plan.
- Federal loan borrowers for an income-driven payment plan: 7.37 million.
- Federal loan borrowers on Income-Based Repayment: 2.82 million.
- Federal loan borrowers on Revised Pay while you Earn: 2.56 million.
- Federal loan borrowers on Pay while you Earn: 1.31 million.
- Federal loan borrowers on Income-Contingent Repayment: 680,000.
The complimentary Application for Federal scholar Aid, referred to as FAFSA, is needed to qualify for funds, scholarships, work-study and student that is federal.
- Portion of 2018 school that is high whom would not finish the FAFSA: 37%.
- Normal quantity each Pell Grant-eligible graduate left up for grabs by maybe perhaps not finishing the FAFSA: $3,908.
- Total quantity the course of 2018 left up for grabs by maybe perhaps perhaps not finishing the FAFSA: $2.6 billion.